Wednesday, June 08, 2005

DISPATCH X

I'm calling this one "DISPATCH X" because this is an announcement that I'm expecting to be relevant for the rest of my goddamned life.

My internet connection has been unreliable and all-in-all frustrating all week, either at home or outside. Posting has been a bitch. Sorry. But suspiciously, it has never failed to allow my daily Fark escapades, so it's not all that bad.

The question on my mind, sparked more than a little by my apparently unrealistic demands for a single working internet connection is this: are we too dependent on our machines? Yes, yes we are. Ok, that question's out of the way. Next question: what do we do about it?

Absolutely nothing. Try writing a thesis without a computer. Try networking without the internet. (on a sidenote, my internet connection has phased out and reinstated itself twice in the time it's taken me to get this far) It's hopeless. We are the borg, said the demon Gates, and we will devour the minds of youth. Perhaps this is the most inherently horrible aspect of the media age, that we cannot escape it no matter what we do. We can still read books, we can still play sports, but when it comes down to it, when the work must be done we must turn to the tools of our age, even if they burn our minds out as we're using them.

I am the god of run-on sentences.

Now to post before my internet connection dies again.